Matthieu Bonnici is a senior associate from the firm’s Shanghai office and focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, foreign direct investments in China, general corporate, distribution, and real estate.
Mr. Bonnici is familiar with both the China and Europe business markets. He has extensive experience in advising multinational companies on their investments in China. He also has experience in advising Chinese-based investors on their outbound investments.
Mr. Bonnici’s representative engagements include:
- Representing a manufacturer and distributor of supermarket shelves in France on the acquisition of a manufacturer and distributor of supermarket shelves in PRC.
- Assisting a U.S. luxury retailer on the reorganization of its distribution network in PRC, HK, and Taiwan.
- Advising a leading UK food retailer in the drafting and negotiation of lease agreements for shopping malls across China.
- Advising a leading thermal equipment manufacturer in the buying-out of his Chinese partner (state-owned enterprise).
- Advising an Italian private equity fund in connection with its investment in a leading bakery group.
- Advising a Chinese state-owned enterprise on the acquisition of a silicones business from a listed French company.
- Advising a listed French group on setting up a holding company in Shanghai and the subsequent transfer of its Chinese subsidiaries.
- Advising a listed French group on the acquisition of a Chinese company involved in the manufacture and distribution of pressure vessels.
- Advising one of the world’s largest chemical groups on the acquisition of a Chinese company involved in manufacturing and distributing industrial adhesives.
- Advising a leading European group on the acquisition of a minority stake in a leading Chinese manufacturer of supermarket shelves.
- Assisting a leading food retail company on its bid for the acquisition of the seventh largest food retailer in China.
- Advising a leading food retail company on the acquisition of two hypermarkets in Shanghai and Nanjing.
- Advising leading Chinese and European companies on their joint acquisition of an advertising company established in Hong Kong and setting up a subsidiary in Beijing involved in “out-of-home” advertising activities.
- Advising several brands of a leading luxury group on the restructuring of their distribution network across China.
- Advising a leading cosmetics company on the merger of two subsidiaries located in Shenzhen.
- Advising a leading car rental company on the establishment of a franchise network in China.
Mr. Bonnici received a DESS in Business Law & Corporate Taxation and Magistere in Business Law & D.J.C.E. in 2002 from the University of Aix-Marseille III, France, and an LL.M. in 2003 from the City University of Hong Kong.
Speeches and Publications
Mr. Bonnici regularly speaks and writes about legal issues affecting his practice. These include:
- "Droit chinois des affaires fiches partiques: Tome 2 - Opérer en Chine" ("China Business Law: Volume 2 - Operating in China"), SIM, May 2013.
- "Droit chinois des affaires fiches partiques: Tome 1 - L'implantation en Chine" ("China Business Law: Volume 2 - Investing in China"), SIM, June 2012.
- "New SAFE regulations impacting foreign invested enterprises: Issuance of Circular 142," The Bridge, a publication of the SwissCham China, October 2008.
- "Reorganizing the holding of your subsidiaries in China," The Bridge, a publication of the SwissCham China, August 2008.
- "Frauds in China: how to protect your company and its managers", Winston & Strawn seminar, Paris, May 23, 2013.
- "Setting-up and doing business in China", EFE Seminar, Paris, May 23-24, 2013.
- "Managing your China investments in tough times," Geneva Chamber of Commerce, Nov. 27, 2008.
- "Foreign investments in China—What to expect," University of Maryland Robert H. Smith China EMBA program.