David Lin is an associate in the firm’s Los Angeles office who focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and counseling. His cases have ranged from representing patent owners in large, complex patent litigation to defending clients in multi-defendant patent troll litigation. He has assisted on cases throughout the country, including in all California district courts, the District of Delaware, the U.S. International Trade Commission, and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Mr. Lin has represented clients in matters related to a wide range of technologies, including, consumer electronic devices, computer architecture, computer software, data communications, fiber optics, semiconductors, light emitting diodes, and nutritional supplements.
Prior to joining Winston, Mr. Lin served in a wide range of legal and non-legal positions. Mr. Lin was formerly an associate at another large, international law firm. He also served as a judicial extern for Justice Fred Woods of the California Court of Appeal for the Second District, where he handled a wide variety of civil and criminal appeals. Previous to his legal career, Mr. Lin worked in the entertainment industry, as a systems engineer developing content management and protection systems.
A representative sample of Mr. Lin’s litigation experience includes:
- Represented a fiber-optics company in the defense of patent litigation in which the plaintiff asserted five U.S. patents related to the company’s fiber-optics products. Mr. Lin led the analysis on three out of the five patents. The case resulted in a quick and favorable settlement of all claims.
- Seeking a judgment of infringement on behalf of a semiconductor developer on a patent regarding the fabrication of light emitting diodes. This case is ongoing.
- Defending a multinational video game company against a patent litigation where the plaintiff filed approximately 50 separate law suits against a number of companies in the District of Delaware on a patent regarding computer automation software. This case is ongoing.
- Defended a multinational company in a patent infringement action where the plaintiff asserted internet related software patents. Served on a team that devised and executed a strategy which resulted in a favorable settlement of all claims.
- Represented several multinational defendants in a patent infringement action where the plaintiff asserted patents related to portable FM transmitters. Mr. Lin was led a strategic part of the deposition preparation which resulted in a favorable settlement.
Mr. Lin received a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of California, Los Angeles in 2006. He received his J.D. from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles in 2011.
Speeches and Publications
- Co-author, “Prosecution Under the America Invents Act” Advanced Patent Prosecution Workshop 2012: Claim Drafting & Amendment Writing, Volume 1 (pages 1007-1024), Practising Law Institute, July 19, 2012.